Thursday, July 3, 2014

Thursday Thoughts || Reading Conditions

Hey, guys! Welcome to Thursday Thoughts, once again. This is a weekly, interactive, original meme here on my blog. Everyone with an opinion is invited to make a post, link up and join the conversation. This week, for the first time ever, I almost missed Thursday Thoughts! Usually I post at 12am on the dot. I like to get my post up as soon as possible for anyone who may have made their own Thursday Thoughts post. But, today.. it's 2am and I'm scrambling to write this for you because I forgot. I'm actually exhausted and a little bit out of it, but to me this is more important than sleep right now. I should probably get my priorities in order... Anyways! This week's topic of conversation is brought to you by a Thursday Thoughts family member and that would be "Reading Conditions."

I would say that about 95% of my time reading is spent in my bed. My bed is the comfiest, most relaxing place in my house for me personally. I'm not the kind of person who can fall asleep while reading. If I have a book in my hands, I'm too concerned with losing my place to fall asleep. Plus, if I were really that tired, I wouldn't be able to read in the first place. Even back in school, I never understood how kids could fall asleep in class. My body literally just wouldn't allow me to fall asleep; it was too public and there was too much at risk that would be out of my control in that situation. Reading and sleeping is kind of the same way. For all of those reasons, reading in my bed is ideal.

Going right along with that, I typically read the most right before bed or in the earlier part of the day. My sleep schedule is a bit wonky (as you can tell by the fact that I'm writing this at 2am,) so that kind of contributes to my weird reading times. I read the most before I go to sleep (which is usually around 3) and after I've been up for a few hours (around 12-2pm.) Since I read during some of the quietest times of the day, I enjoy reading in silence. I can see how reading in total silence might make things distracting (a lot of times in high school, I couldn't study in silence,) but as far as reading goes music distracts me majorly. I've always been someone who enjoys music and singing. Since that's such a big part of my life, it's hard for me to listen to a song without singing along or at least really listening to the words. For those reasons, reading while listening to music just doesn't seem to work out for me.

Here's the most ideal reading situation in a day in the life of Ashley; It's a nice, gloomy day. The weather is rainy and there's a brisk chill in the air. The house is empty and I'm cuddled up in my bed with a good book and a water bottle. The blankets are wrapped around me, but I have room to balance my book wherever I may need. Everything is quiet aside from the light sound of rain rapping against my house. That's my ideal reading conditions.

Are you anything like me? Do you love rain when you're reading? Are you able to listen to music while reading? If so, how?! I can't for the life of me do that. Are you the kind of person who falls asleep while reading? What time of day do you read? Let me know any of your Thursday Thoughts down in the comments! I would LOVE to hear them. I'm sorry that this week's post was so rushed and probably a bit messy. I promise things will be better next week. Speaking of next week, join us back here next Thursday when we discuss "Book Tastes!" See ya then!



2 comments:

  1. I also don't fall asleep while reading. When I get tired enough I mark my spot then put the book down and go to bed. (I also didn't fall asleep in school. There were a few times teachers told me to put my head down and rest when I was sick, but still didn't sleep.)
    I also can't listen to music while reading. I'm with you, I love to sing (rather poorly) along with the words. I couldn't even listen to classical/instrumental because I would still pay too much attention to what I was listening to rather than what I was reading.
    I LOVE "the most ideal reading situation in a day in the life of Ashley"!
    Sounds like a wonderful time to read.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss reading in bed. Hubby complains about the light lol. I can tune out background noises when I read so I don't even notice if there's music or TV after a while, but I don't turn them on just to have them. Great topic :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say!